Commission on Leisure Education
ABOUTWhat our Commission means by leisure education: We are not necessarily talking about the academic context of professional preparation for work within the leisure field but rather we are concerned with the ways and means through which individuals and groups acquire the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that inform and determine their leisure functioning.
PURPOSE, GOALS AND OBJECTIVESThe purpose and goals of the World Leisure Commission on Education are to develop community and support leisure education resources, programs and strategies through international exchange and cooperation to improve leisure functioning of individuals and groups within our society. Together, leisure education scholars, practitioners, organizations, teachers, students, participants and interested parties of World Leisure Commission on Leisure Education from around the world can share research, practice, theory and experience.
We aspire to be a leadership axis for international leisure education as well as a force that builds collaboration to: advocate for leisure education, conduct research and evaluation studies, and address implementation issues across a variety of settings and populations.
• To promote awareness and value of the significance of leisure and recreation.
• To exchange approaches on leisure learning and education.
• To support and create methods for evidence based practice in this area.
• To advocate and support leisure education internationally.
• To provide forums for discussion of global issues in all aspects of leisure education in the schools and in community settings.
• To support the leisure education of specific groups (youth, incarcerated, women, retirees, etc.) so as to enhance their access to healthy leisure functioning and lifestyles.
• To promote and foster quality research in leisure education.
• To disseminate information on leisure education.
• To foster the development of international, regional and national policies and programs on leisure education.
• To promote and offer technical, educational and consultative services in leisure education to public and private organizations and institutions.
• To support training of personnel in the various areas of leisure education.
PROJECTSContinue working with LIN (Leisure Information Network) on a resource HUB http://lin.ca/world-leisure-commission-leisure-education
CONTACTChair: Alison J. Link