The George Torkildsen Literary Award
ABOUTThe George Torkildsen Literary Award seeks to perpetuate the memory of this remarkable individual who served as Chair of the World Leisure Board of Directors (1996 – 2004). He was the first community sports center manager in Britain and has been called the father of sport and leisure in that country.
George Torkildsen (1934 – 2005) was a pioneer and leader to the emergent profession of recreation management. Trained as a Physical Education teacher, he started his career in community leisure management in Harlow, England in the 1960s, managing the first all-purpose leisure centre in the United Kingdom. Following periods of study in North America, George was awarded a well-deserved doctorate. He established a leisure management consultancy, Pickering Torkildsen, in partnership with Ron Pickering, the celebrated BBC TV athletics commentator. After Ron’s death, George continued his consultancy work, eventually forming the Torkildsen Barclay Partnership.
George was a leader who took the leisure management profession forward. He taught on many post-graduate leisure and recreation courses. He worked faultlessly and tirelessly improving standards and focusing on excellence of delivery. He was active and well respected throughout the United Kingdom and around the world. Both the main UK leisure management institutes honoured him with life memberships.
A prolific writer, lecturer and teacher, he authored Leisure and Recreation Management, Leisure Management A to Z: A Dictionary of Terms, and Torkildsen’s Guides to Leisure Management. These publications have become standard coursework reading on many leisure management courses around the world.
In 2005, he conceived and implemented the concept of an International Innovation Prize for leisure management projects which the World Leisure Organisation first awarded in 2006. In his memory, the trophy awarded to winning projects is known as “The George”.
This award is presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution to the recreation, parks and leisure service literature by advancing innovative ideas, thoughts and/or philosophical perspectives.
BENEFITSEach award winner receives a framed certificate.
APPLY FOR THE AWARD
Criteria for Selection• Contributions that advance the professional literature in the area of recreation, parks, conservation, environment or leisure;
• Research or scholarly endeavors that significantly influence new ideas, concepts and/or reveal new insights into recreation, parks, conservation, environment or leisure;
• Ideas, concepts or writings that arouse professional awareness and/or provide new insights leading to major changes in the way in which the recreation, park and leisure service movement is viewed or practiced; and
• Significant literary activities over a life time that reflect continuous and sustained contributions. Contributions may be reflected in a series of articles, books, lectures, research and technical reports, monographs or other forms.
Selection ProceduresApplications will be evaluated on:
• Their literary contributions to advancing leisure concerns worldwide;
• The impact of such contributions as reflected in their influence to the general public and/or profession; and
• The clarity, solutions and insights brought to emerging trends, issues and concepts as well as issues, problems and concerns.
Application/Award ProceduresThe nomination file should include the following:
• Name of the individual, title, organizational affiliation and full contact details;
• A written statement of not more than1,000 words that addresses the nominees scholarly efforts and/or other professional contributions, referencing the impact that the nominees contributions have made to the literature; and
• The nominees curriculum vita.
• Nominations are due on INSERT DATE 4 MONTHS PRIOR TO WORLD CONGRESS
• Please send nominations to World Leisure Secretariat: University of Deusto, Institute of Leisure Studies, Avenida de las Universidaes 24, 48007 Bilbao - Spain
• Applications are evaluated by a selection committee drawn from World Leisure Board of Directors and the Chief Operating Officer.
2014 Atara Sivan
2012 Tony Veal
2010 Karla A. Henderson